Arlo security cameras are known for their convenience and useful features, such as sending notifications to your smartphone when they detect motion or sound. However, there can be situations where Arlo notifications may not be working as expected, leaving users concerned about potential security risks or missed events. This article aims to address the potential causes behind Arlo notification issues and provides practical troubleshooting tips.
- Make sure your Arlo device is armed
- Ensure your Arlo Secure app is up to date and compatible with your mobile device and that notifications are enabled.
- Check your mobile phone android or iOS to confirm notifications are enabled.
Table of Contents
Arlo Notifications Overview
Arlo security systems offer different types of notifications to keep users informed about the events happening in their monitored areas. These notifications primarily include push notifications and email alerts.
Push notifications are an efficient way to receive instant updates about any detected motion or sound by your Arlo security cameras. These alerts are sent directly to your smartphone or tablet through the Arlo Secure App, ensuring that you stay connected with the security of your home or office anytime and anywhere. Ensure that you have the latest version of the Arlo Secure App installed on your device and that you’re logged in for the push notifications to work correctly.
In addition to push notifications, Arlo systems can also send email alerts to your registered email address. Email alerts are particularly useful when you cannot access your smartphone or tablet, or if you want to keep a record of the events detected by your security cameras. You can configure the Arlo system to send email alerts to multiple email addresses, allowing other family members or colleagues to stay informed.
Modes and Rules
Arlo security cameras are highly customizable and allow users to set up different modes and rules for specific situations. By understanding how modes and rules work, you can ensure that your camera notifies you correctly and captures events as needed.
Arlo Modes give you control over how your cameras respond to motion or sound. Your Arlo must be armed for notifications to work. Modes are essential to managing the functionality of your Arlo system. Each mode uses one or more rules to control your Arlo system. For example, you can set your Arlo system to record a 30-second video when the motion sensor is activated on a specific camera and alert you with push notifications.
The most common modes are:
- Armed: This mode is designed to monitor for motion and/or sound events and trigger actions as set up in your rules.
- Disarmed: This mode is typically used when you don’t want your cameras to record or notify you about any activities.
- Custom: Custom modes allow you to create unique modes with specific rules tailored for your particular needs.
Apart from these predefined modes, you can create additional custom modes depending on your requirements.
Setting Up Rules
Rules are the building blocks of Arlo modes, allowing you to define actions for your cameras when specific events occur. When setting up rules, follow these steps:
- Open the Arlo Secure App and tap on “Mode.”
- Select your Arlo device.
- Tap on the pencil icon next to the desired mode (Armed, Disarmed, or a custom mode).
- Tap the pencil icon next to the rule you want to edit or create a new rule by selecting “Add Rule.”
- Customize the rule by choosing the trigger event (motion or sound detection) and selecting which cameras should act on the rule.
- Specify the actions to be taken when the trigger occurs. This could include recording a video, taking a snapshot, sending notifications, or triggering a siren.
By setting up appropriate modes and rules, your Arlo camera system becomes more effective at monitoring your property and notifying you about events that matter to you. Make sure to test your configurations to ensure that you receive notifications as expected.
Troubleshooting Arlo Notifications
App and Device Issues
When it comes to Arlo notifications issues, it’s important to start by checking your mobile device.
Ensure that the settings in the Arlo Secure App are configured correctly and that your device is not on “Do Not Disturb” or “Mute Notifications” mode.
For iOS devices, make sure Mute Notifications is set to off and your device is not in Do Not Disturb or other Focus modes. To enable Arlo notifications on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on “Notifications.”
- Find and tap on the “Arlo” app.
- Toggle on “Allow Notifications.”
Now, you should receive Arlo notifications on your iPhone.
If you are using an Android device, ensure that you are logged in to the Arlo Secure App to receive push notifications.
Email Notification Problems
If you are experiencing issues with email notifications, it could be due to your email address not being registered with Arlo. Visit my.arlo.com and update your email address in your Arlo account settings. Ensure that you’re using the correct email address for notifications and troubleshoot any email delivery problems.
To set up Arlo email notifications, follow these steps:
- Visit the Arlo website and log in to your account.
- Click on “Settings,” followed by “Profile.”
- Scroll down to “Notification Preferences” and click on “Edit.”
- Enter your email address and select which alerts and notifications you would like to receive via email.
- Click “Save” to complete the process.
Now, you should begin receiving Arlo email notifications.
Camera and Base Station Challenges
Sometimes, camera or base station issues may lead to notification problems. In the case of Arlo Pro with smart notifications, there have been reports of alerts for all motion despite only selecting people.
Arlo Secure App and Features
Arlo Smart: Arlo Smart is an advanced feature available in the Arlo Secure App. It enhances your camera’s capabilities by adding features like smart notifications, activity zones, and advanced object detection.
- Activity Zones: With activity zones, you can define specific areas in your camera’s field of view to focus on. This way, you’ll only receive notifications for activities happening within those zones, minimizing false alarms.
- Advanced Object Detection: Arlo Smart also detects the difference between various objects, such as people, animals, and vehicles. It makes the notifications you receive more informative, letting you know the type of activity detected.
Arlo Firmware Updates
Keeping your Arlo cameras up-to-date with the latest firmware ensures optimal performance and functionality. Firmware updates include improvements to features like smart notifications and bug fixes. You can find the firmware release notes on the Arlo website or in your Arlo account.
Arlo Account and Subscription Services
To maximize the potential of your Arlo Secure cameras, it’s crucial to have an updated Arlo account and be aware of Arlo’s end of life policy for older devices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why am I not receiving alerts from my Arlo cameras?
There could be several reasons for not receiving alerts from your Arlo cameras. Ensure you are logged into the Arlo Secure App on your device, as you will not receive notifications if logged out. Additionally, check your app notification settings and your device’s “Do Not Disturb” settings.
How can I adjust the Arlo notification settings?
To adjust the Arlo notification settings, open the Arlo Secure App, tap the menu icon, and then tap “Notifications.” Here, you can customize the notification settings for each camera and location according to your preferences.
Why is my Arlo floodlight not notifying me?
If your Arlo floodlight is not sending you notifications, ensure that your floodlight is connected to the Arlo Secure App and that you have the latest app version installed. Check your app notification settings, floodlight settings, and your device’s “Do Not Disturb” settings. Also, make sure your device is not muting notifications for the app.
Why are my Arlo notifications delayed?
Notifications can be delayed due to various reasons, such as slow internet connections, high server load, or device-related issues. To minimize delays, ensure that your Arlo system has a stable internet connection and that you have the latest Arlo Secure App installed on your device. Additionally, verify that your device allows background app refresh for the Arlo app to receive timely notifications.