Wyze cameras have become popular for their affordability and smart home integration capabilities. One common question users have is whether these cameras can record continuously, 24/7. This is an important feature to consider, especially for those who seek comprehensive surveillance for their home or office.
The Wyze camera does offer continuous recording capabilities, but it requires a microSD card to store footage locally. Without a microSD card, the Wyze camera will record 12-second event videos upon motion detection, with a 5-minute cooldown period between the same type of events. For those who prefer continuous, nonstop recording, the optional Cam Plus service provides additional benefits, like removing the cooldown period and offering extra cloud storage.
Table of Contents
Wyze Continuous Recording Capabilities
Wyze cameras have the ability to record continuously, providing 24/7 surveillance for your property. This feature is particularly useful for those who desire constant coverage and want to review footage from any hour of the day.
To enable 24/7 continuous recording, you will need to insert a microSD card into the camera. The footage is stored in 5-minute clips on the microSD card, organized by time for easy access and retrieval. Any microSD card can be used, but Wyze offers a 32GB MicroSDHC card as a recommended option.
When utilizing continuous recording, it is important to note that some smart features, such as those reliant on Wyze servers, may be unavailable. However, the primary function of recording around the clock will remain unaffected.
The Wyze Cam v3 can also record non-stop motion events when paired with the optional Cam Plus service. Without the service, there is a standard 5-minute “cooldown” period between similar event videos that are stored in the cloud. This ensures that events are captured continuously, even when the microSD card storage capacity is reached.
Remember, when setting up your Wyze camera for continuous recording, ensure to allocate sufficient storage space with a microSD card and configure the camera settings accordingly. In doing so, you can enjoy the benefits of 24/7 surveillance to meet your security needs.
How to Setup Wyze Continuous 24/7 Recording
To set up Wyze camera for 24/7 recording, you need a microSD card and the Wyze App. First, insert a microSD card into the camera. The camera supports Class 10 cards in FAT32 and exFAT formats. For Wyze Cam v3, it can handle cards size 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB in FAT32 format.
Once you have inserted the microSD card, plug in your camera and follow these steps in the Wyze app:
- Install the Wyze App: Download the Wyze app from your phone’s app store, sign up or log in to your account. The app will serve as the control center for your camera settings and playback.
- Add your camera: From the app’s home screen, tap the “+” plus sign on the top left, then tap Add Device. Choose Cameras > Wyze Cam or Wyze Cam Pan based on the model you’re using.
- Connect to the camera: Follow the on-screen instructions to connect the camera to your Wi-Fi network. When setting up a Wyze Cam Pan, be aware that the camera may rotate when plugged in.
Now that your camera is set up, you can configure it for continuous recording:
- Access camera settings: Open the live view of your camera and tap the gear icon to access settings.
- Enter Advanced Settings: Tap on “Advanced Settings” to find more options for your camera.
- Enable Local Storage: Locate “Local Storage” and tap on it. This is where you will configure your camera to save recorded footage on the microSD card.
- Activate local recording: Flip the switch to turn on “Local Recording to Micro SD Card”.
- Choose continuous recording mode: You will see two options – “Record on event” and “Record continuously”. Select “Record continuously” for 24/7 recording.
MicroSD Card Usage
Wyze cameras are capable of recording events 24/7, and this functionality can be further optimized by using a microSD card. A microSD card helps store footage locally on the device without the need for a cloud subscription. Wyze cameras specifically support 32GB microSD cards for their storage needs.
Before utilizing a microSD card, it is crucial to ensure that the card is of Class 10 and is formatted in FAT32. To format the card in FAT32, follow these steps:
- Insert the microSD card into the Wyze camera.
- From the Wyze app on your phone or tablet, navigate to the live feed of the specific camera.
- Tap on the settings gear.
- Tap on advanced settings.
- Select the Local Storage option.
- Tap on Format.
These steps will format the microSD card in FAT32, ensuring compatibility with the Wyze camera. With the microSD card inserted and formatted correctly, users can enable continuous recording or motion detection-based recording on the camera, providing a local storage alternative to cloud recording. This feature also enables users to record videos when the internet connection is not available.
However, it is essential to note that without the optional Cam Plus service, Wyze cameras will have a standard 5-minute “cooldown” period between similar event videos stored in the cloud. This means that although a microSD card enables recording without an internet connection, users who wish to have nonstop motion recording will need to subscribe to the Cam Plus service.
In summary, the usage of a 32GB, Class 10 microSD card formatted in FAT32 is essential for optimal local storage on Wyze cameras. This allows users to record events 24/7 without the need for a cloud subscription and provides a reliable option in cases of internet downtime.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set up continuous recording on a Wyze Cam?
To set up continuous recording on a Wyze Cam, insert a microSD card into the camera and follow these steps:
1. Open the Wyze app and select the camera you want to configure.
2. Tap on the Settings (gear icon) in the top right corner.
3. Select “Advanced Settings” and then “Local Storage.”
4. Toggle on “Local recording to microSD card” and choose “Continuous recording” as the recording mode.
Is continuous recording possible without a subscription?
Yes, continuous recording on Wyze Cam is possible without a subscription. However, to store event videos in the cloud without the 5-minute cooldown period, you’ll need to subscribe to Wyze Cam Plus.
Which Wyze Cams support 24/7 recording?
Wyze Cam v1, v2, v3, and Pan all support 24/7 recording when a microSD card is used for local storage.
How much storage is needed for continuous recording on an SD card?
The amount of storage needed depends on the resolution and the length of recording time. As a general guideline, a 32GB microSD card can store up to 2-3 days of continuous recording in 1080p HD quality, while a 128GB card can record for several days.
What is the difference between continuous and event recording?
Continuous recording captures video footage 24/7 and saves it to a microSD card, regardless of motion or sound detection. Event recording, on the other hand, records and saves videos only when motion or sound events are detected.
Can Wyze Cam Outdoor record continuously?
Wyze Cam Outdoor is designed to record event-triggered clips, not for continuous recording, as it operates on a built-in battery. However, you can achieve a crude 24-hour capture using Scheduled Recording under the More menu in the live feed. A better outdoor camera for 24/7 recording would be the Wyze Cam v3, which is wire-powered.