Are you looking to create a connected smart home ecosystem where all your devices communicate seamlessly with each other?
Today, we’re answering the question, Does Blink work with SmartThings?
We’ll do a deep dive into whether Blink, the popular camera-centric home security system, works with Samsung’s highly versatile SmartThings platform.
While Blink and SmartThings don’t have a native integration, it is possible to connect these devices using a third-party service called IFTTT (If This, Then That).
Table of Contents
Blink and SmartThings Compatibility
Integration of Blink Camera with SmartThings
Blink Camera can be integrated with SmartThings using IFTTT (If This Then That), a third-party service that connects various smart devices and triggers actions based on specific conditions.
While not a native integration, using IFTTT can help establish a seamless connection between your Blink Cameras and SmartThings setup. This integration has gained importance after Amazon acquired Blink and discontinued the native integration.
To set up Blink with SmartThings:
- Create an IFTTT account and link it to your SmartThings account.
- Set up a virtual switch for each Blink camera in the SmartThings setup.
- Use applets on IFTTT to connect and control your Blink cameras with your SmartThings system, triggering actions such as turning on or off the cameras.
You can also find community-developed integrations, such as RBoy Apps’ Blink Camera IFTTT Integration, which provides detailed guides on setting up and using Blink cameras with SmartThings.
Compatible Smart Devices
SmartThings, being a versatile platform, supports a wide range of smart devices, including security cameras, speakers, thermostats, TVs, and sensors from various brands.
Some notable compatible devices are:
|Device Type||Device Brand|
|Smart Security Cameras||SmartThings works with popular security cameras such as Arlo and Ring Video Doorbell|
|Smart Speakers||SmartThings works with various smart speakers, including those powered by Amazon Alexa and Google Home|
|Smart Thermostats||Smart thermostats like Ecobee and Nest can be connected to SmartThings for seamless climate control|
|Smart TVs||Samsung Smart TVs, as well as other brands, can be controlled using the SmartThings app|
|Smart Sensors||An array of sensors, from motion to temperature, Ring Contact Sensors among them, can be integrated with SmartThings for advanced home automation|
|Smart Light Bulbs||Phillips Hue and Sylvania Wifi Smart Light bulb are among several smart lights compatible with SmartThings|
To manage and control all these devices, SmartThings recommends using a SmartThings Hub, which allows the connection and control of an even wider variety of smart devices. SmartThings Wifi Hub provides the added benefit of fast and reliable Wi-Fi throughout your home.
Setting Up Blink in SmartThings
Using the SmartThings App
To set up Blink with SmartThings, you must use an intermediary platform called IFTTT (If This Then That). Start by creating an account on IFTTT.com. Next, download and install the SmartThings app on your smartphone.
You’ll need to connect your Blink account and your SmartThings account to IFTTT.
- In the IFTTT app, click on “My Applets” and then create a new Applet.
- Select “+ this” to choose a service, in this case, SmartThings.
- Authorize IFTTT to access your SmartThings account and select a virtual switch from the list.
- Choose a trigger (e.g., Switch On) and then click “+ that”.
- Choose the Blink service and the specific action you’d like to occur in response (such as arming or disarming a camera).
- Finally, save your new Applet.
Repeat these steps for any additional interactions or automations you want to create between Blink and SmartThings.
Connecting Blink Cameras to SmartThings Hub
Although there is no direct integration between Blink cameras and the SmartThings hub, you can still create a connection using IFTTT as explained above.
- Create a virtual switch for each Blink camera in your SmartThings account.
- Associate each virtual switch with the corresponding Blink camera through IFTTT applets.
- Configure triggers and actions within the IFTTT applets to automate your Blink cameras’ behavior in response to events in your SmartThings ecosystem.
By following these steps, you can integrate your Blink cameras with your SmartThings hub, enhancing your smart home automation and security capabilities.
IFTTT Integration for Blink and SmartThings
IFTTT (If This Then That) is a service that allows you to create custom integrations between various smart devices, including Blink cameras and SmartThings. By connecting both devices with IFTTT, you can create a seamless integration and automate your home security.
Applets for Automation
An Applet is a command created in IFTTT that triggers a specific action when certain conditions are met. To integrate Blink and SmartThings using IFTTT, you can create custom automation rules or pre-built applets that can control your devices when specific events occur.
- Start by creating a free IFTTT account and linking it to your SmartThings and Blink accounts.
- Browse through the available applets for both Blink and SmartThings, or use the search function to find specific functionalities.
- Choose an applet that matches your desired automation, such as turning on the lights when the Blink camera detects motion.
- Customize the applet settings according to your preferences, and enable it for your devices.
Controlling Smart Devices with IFTTT
With IFTTT integration, you can control various smart devices connected to your SmartThings hub, based on the events detected by your Blink camera. These devices can include lights, thermostats, door locks, and more.
- Set up and configure your smart devices in the SmartThings app, ensuring they are connected to your SmartThings hub.
- Create an IFTTT applet, using the appropriate triggers and actions based on the event you want to automate (e.g., motion detection by Blink camera).
- In the applet settings, select the smart devices you want to control as the target devices.
- Test the connection and settings, ensuring that the desired action occurs when the trigger event is detected.
The IFTTT integration offers a wide range of automation possibilities for your Blink camera and SmartThings, allowing you to create a smart and secure home environment that works seamlessly together.
Searching and Downloading Apps
To integrate Blink cameras with SmartThings, you’ll need to search for and download the required apps. Specifically, the IFTTT app and the Blink app if you haven’t already installed them. The IFTTT app allows you to set up automation for your Blink cameras to work with SmartThings.
Begin by opening the App Store or Google Play Store on your mobile device, then search for “IFTTT” and “Blink.” Download and install these apps onto your device.
Once the apps are successfully installed, follow these steps for integration:
- IFTTT account integration: Open the IFTTT app on your phone and log in or sign up for an account. Tap on the Explore option in the bottom right corner of the home screen. Use the search bar to locate the Blink app; this will enable you to connect your IFTTT and Blink accounts.
- SmartThings account connection: Next, visit the RBoy Apps Blink Camera IFTTT Integration page on the SmartThings Community website. This guide will provide detailed instructions on how to integrate your Blink cameras with SmartThings using IFTTT.
- Creating virtual devices: According to the RBoy Apps guide, you’ll need to create virtual devices in the SmartThings environment. These devices, named “Blink Camera 1,” “Blink Camera 2,” etc., will act as motion sensors to incorporate the Blink cameras into your SmartThings setup.
Remember to follow the provided instructions carefully, as incorrect configurations may lead to unsuccessful integrations. With a clear and focused approach, your Blink cameras will soon be working seamlessly with SmartThings.