The world of smart home technology continues to expand, with various devices and platforms designed to simplify and enhance daily living. Two prominent players in this arena are Philips Hue and Ring. Philips Hue, known for its smart lighting options, offers customizable and automated lighting solutions for homes. Meanwhile, Ring provides an array of security products such as video doorbells, security cameras, and alarm systems. But do these two behemoths of smart home tech work together? Let’s find out.
Although both Philips Hue and Ring serve distinct purposes in a smart home ecosystem, it’s natural for users to seek compatibility between these devices for seamless operation. For instance, having your lights turn on when motion is detected by your Ring doorbell or security camera. While there is no direct integration between Philips Hue and Ring products, there are ways to make them work together, primarily through the use of routines via Alexa and Amazon Echo devices, as well as the IFTTT (If This, Then That) web service.
Table of Contents
Philips Hue and Ring Integration
While Philips Hue and Ring are both popular smart home ecosystems, they don’t integrate directly with each other. Philips Hue devices use Zigbee for communication, while Ring devices rely on Wi-Fi or the lesser-known protocol called “Z-Wave” (for their alarm system). Nevertheless, there are workarounds to set up communication between these two systems.
Ring Bridge and Hue Bridge
To integrate Philips Hue and Ring devices, you’ll need both the Philips Hue Bridge and the Ring Bridge. The Philips Hue Bridge is essential for controlling Hue smart lights, while the Ring Bridge helps manage Ring devices and integrate them into a larger smart home system.
After setting up the bridges, you can then use the following method to control the devices:
|Smart home hub||Connect both the Philips Hue and Ring devices to a smart home hub like Amazon Alexa, and create routines through the Alexa app. This way, you can control and automate these devices together.|
Setting up the Connection
Connecting Philips Hue and Ring devices via a smart home hub, such as Alexa or Google Assistant, involves the following steps:
- Install and set up the Philips Hue Bridge and Ring Bridge, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Add both the Philips Hue and Ring devices into your smart home hub (in this example, Amazon Alexa):
- Open the Alexa app, and tap on the “Devices” tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the “+” icon in the top-right corner to add a new device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add your Hue and Ring devices to the Alexa system.
- After adding the devices, create routines in the Alexa app:
- Tap on the “Routines” tab at the bottom of the app.
- Then tap on the “+” icon in the top-right corner to add a new routine.
- Name the routine, and set up the necessary triggers and actions using your Hue and Ring devices. For example, when motion is detected by the Ring device, turn on the Hue smart lights.
This specified workaround helps bridge the gap between Philips Hue and Ring devices, allowing you to create a more connected and versatile smart home ecosystem.
Controlling Philips Hue Lights with Ring
Using the Ring App
Unfortunately, the Ring app does not natively support Philips Hue lights. However, you can still connect them and control them together in other ways, such as using a third-party app like IFTTT or with Alexa routines via the Alexa app.
Utilizing Alexa Routines
To set up Philips Hue and Ring devices to work together, you can use Alexa routines. This feature allows you to have your Philips Hue lights interact with your Ring smart lights or other devices.
Here’s how you can create an Alexa routine for these two devices:
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap on the “More” option, then select “Routines.”
- Press the “+” icon to start creating a new routine.
- Set a trigger for the routine by tapping the “+” symbol next to “When this happens.” This trigger can be a specific time or an event related to your Ring smart light.
- Tap “Add action” and choose the Philips Hue lights you want to control.
- Choose the action you want your Hue lights to take, such as turning on, adjusting brightness, or changing colors.
- Tap “Save” to complete the routine. Your Philips Hue lights will now follow the actions specified in the routine whenever the trigger occurs.
By using Alexa routines, you can create a seamless integration between your Philips Hue lights and Ring devices without the need for an additional app. Make sure you have both the Philips Hue and Ring devices set up within your Alexa app for the routines to work properly.
Smart Home Applications
Integrating Philips Hue with Ring can enhance home security by allowing users to create a unified system for their smart devices. For instance, users can set up automations to control both Philips Hue lights and Ring security cameras in response to potential security threats. While Philips Hue devices use Zigbee and Ring devices rely on Wi-Fi or Z-Wave, using platforms like Alexa or other third-party applications can bridge the gap between the two and create a seamless experience for users.
- Video doorbells can be connected to smart home hubs to trigger Philips Hue lights.
- Ring security cameras can work in tandem with Philips Hue lights to deter intruders.
- Clever automations can be set up to enhance home security, such as turning on lights when motion is detected by Ring devices.
When it comes to outdoor lighting, both Philips Hue and Ring offer smart lighting solutions that can complement each other to create a well-lit and secure property. Philips Hue has a range of outdoor lighting products, whereas Ring outdoor lights, such as pathlights, steplights, and floodlights, are also available.
The following functionalities can be achieved by creating automated routines:
- Having Philips Hue lights turn on when Ring motion sensors detect movement.
- Synchronizing Ring outdoor lights with Philips Hue lights to create a cohesive lighting scheme.
- Utilizing smart assistants like Amazon’s Alexa to control the lighting system through voice commands.
Both Philips Hue and Ring products can be integrated into automated routines through smart home assistants and third-party applications to create a more connected and efficient home. By using platforms such as Alexa, Google Home, or IFTTT, users can set up various routines to suit their needs and preferences.
For example, it is possible to:
- Schedule Philips Hue and Ring lights to turn on or off at specific times.
- Adjust lighting based on detected ambient light to conserve energy and enhance comfort.
- Create custom scenes that involve both Philips Hue and Ring devices to achieve desired ambiances.
While direct integration between Philips Hue and Ring is not possible, using smart home assistants and other applications can make it easy for users to combine these products and create an intelligent and secure home.
Voice and App Control
Philips Hue and Ring systems both work with Amazon Alexa, allowing for seamless voice and app control. Through smart speakers like Echo and Echo Show 10, users can set up routines and commands for their Philips Hue lights and Ring security devices. These routines can include actions such as turning on Hue lights when the Ring doorbell detects motion or automatically adjusting Hue light brightness when the Ring device senses a certain time of day.
iOS and Android
Philips Hue and Ring devices both have dedicated apps for iOS and Android devices. These apps make it easy for users to control and customize their smart home devices on the go. The Philips Hue app allows users to set up scenes, timers, and automation for their lights. Ring’s app, on the other hand, focuses on security, providing live camera feeds, notifications, and history logs of events.
While the Philips Hue and Ring apps are separate, integration is achieved through virtual assistants like Amazon Alexa. Users can sync their Philips Hue and Ring accounts to their Amazon Alexa app, enabling voice control and automation features for both systems simultaneously.
Creating Custom Commands
For users who want to create custom commands and further integrate Philips Hue and Ring devices, IFTTT (If This, Then That) is a useful tool. IFTTT allows users to create applets that connect Philips Hue and Ring devices to various other smart devices and online services.
Custom commands include:
- Blinking Hue lights when the Ring doorbell rings
- Turning on Hue lights when Ring detects motion
- Toggling Hue lights on if the doorbell rings between certain hours
These applets can be created easily through the IFTTT website or mobile app and can help users tailor their smart home experience to their needs and preferences. To summarize, while Philips Hue and Ring devices cannot be directly connected, they can work together through Amazon Alexa, iOS and Android apps, and IFTTT for a personalized and efficient smart home experience.
Lighting Options and Accessories
Color Options and Temperature
Philips Hue and Ring offer different lighting capabilities. Philips Hue provides a range of color options, allowing users to create a highly customizable lighting experience.
- White and colored light bulbs with 16 million colors
- Different shades of white from warm to cool
- Adjustable color temperature (from 2000K to 6500K)
Ring, on the other hand, focuses on providing security and convenience features through smart bulbs.
- A19 and PAR38 smart bulbs
- Bright, white light for safety and security
- Not as customizable in terms of color and temperature options as Philips Hue
Additional Devices and Sensors
Both Philips Hue and Ring offer additional devices and sensors to enhance their smart home lighting systems:
- Motion sensors for automatic lighting control
- Dimmer switches for easier light adjustments
- Light strips for accent and ambient lighting
- Solar-powered devices for increased energy efficiency
- Motion sensors that work with Ring security systems
- Video doorbells and cameras for home security
Smart Bulbs and Plugs
Philips Hue and Ring have different options when it comes to smart bulbs and plugs. Philips Hue offers a wide range of smart bulbs that work with Zigbee communication protocol, while Ring focuses on Wi-Fi enabled devices and uses Z-Wave for its alarm systems.
Philips Hue Smart Bulbs:
- Wide range of bulb types (A19, BR30, PAR16, etc.)
- Compatible with the Philips Hue Bridge
- Requires Zigbee protocol for communication
Ring Smart Bulbs:
- Limited bulb types (A19 and PAR38)
- Integrated with Ring home security ecosystem
- Requires Wi-Fi for communication and may utilize Z-Wave for some devices
Both Philips Hue and Ring offer smart plugs to control other devices such as lamps, fans, and appliances. These plugs enable users to integrate non-smart devices into their smart home systems for added flexibility and control.
In summary, Philips Hue provides a more comprehensive set of options when it comes to lighting customizability, while Ring’s focus is on security and convenience features. Keep in mind that these two systems are not directly compatible, although some workarounds exist using IFTTT applets or through routines with an Amazon Echo device.
Third-Party Applications and Tools
IFTTT (If This Then That) is a popular third-party web service that allows you to create applets for automating tasks between various smart devices and applications. With IFTTT, you can integrate Philips Hue and Ring devices to some extent. For example, you can:
- Blink your Hue lights when your Ring doorbell rings
- Turn your Hue lights on when Ring detects motion
- Toggle Hue lights on if the doorbell rings between certain hours
To set up IFTTT applets, you’ll need to create an account and connect both your Philips Hue and Ring accounts.
Samsung SmartThings is another powerful platform for connecting smart devices and creating automation routines. Though Philips Hue and Ring do not officially support direct integration, you can leverage Samsung SmartThings to create routines that involve both platforms. Some key steps include:
- Adding your Philips Hue and Ring devices to the SmartThings ecosystem
- Creating routines using the SmartThings app
- Setting triggers and actions involving both Philips Hue and Ring devices
These routines allow greater flexibility and convenience for users looking to streamline their smart home experience.
RunLessWire is a company that produces wireless switches specifically for Philips Hue. Although it doesn’t have a direct integration with Ring, it can potentially be paired with IFTTT or Samsung SmartThings to create a seamless experience involving Philips Hue lighting and your Ring devices. By using RunLessWire products, you can:
- Control Philips Hue lights without a mobile device
- Easily trigger specific Hue scenes or settings
- Connect with IFTTT or Samsung SmartThings to enable more advanced automation
As RunLessWire switches are compatible with Philips Hue, they offer additional possibilities that can complement your smart home setup with Ring devices.