Schlage smart locks, like the Schlage Connect, have a user-friendly feature called “Lock and Leave” which automatically locks your door within a set time when you leave the house.
This feature provides peace of mind by ensuring your home is secure even if you forget to lock the door manually. In this article, we’ll discuss the steps to enable this helpful feature on your Schlage smart lock, as well as how to integrate it with smart home systems.
Table of Contents
Getting Started with Schlage Lock and Leave
Schlage Lock and Leave is a convenient feature for your smart lock, making it easy to secure your home when you’re leaving. Here are the essential steps to enable this feature:
- Locate your Programming Code, which is a 6-digit code.
- Wait for the lock to light orange three times and beep three times.
- Press the Schlage button on your lock.
- Press 7 on the lock’s keypad.
Once completed, the lock will illuminate green, signaling that Lock and Leave has been successfully enabled. Follow the same steps whenever you wish to disable the feature.
Before diving in, let’s explore the key components you should be familiar with when using Schlage Lock and Leave.
- Locks: The Schlage Lock and Leave feature works with specific Schlage smart lock models, including the Schlage Connect and Schlage Encode series.
- Smart Lock: A smart lock is an electronic door lock, providing enhanced security and control compared to traditional mechanical locks. They can be wirelessly controlled through apps, voice commands, or keypads.
- Door: Your front door is likely where you’ll install your Schlage smart lock and use the Lock and Leave feature. Ensure your door is compatible with the lock you would like to install.
- Home: Your home’s safety is critical, and Schlage Lock and Leave makes it easier to secure your home each time you leave.
Now that you have a better understanding of Schlage Lock and Leave, you can confidently set up and use this feature to enhance your home’s security. Remember always to double-check your door’s compatibility, and enjoy the added peace of mind that comes with a secure front door.
Programming Your Schlage Lock
Entering the Programming Code
To enable Schlage Lock and Leave feature, start by opening your door and extending the deadbolt to the locked position. Press the Schlage button at the top of the keypad and enter your six-digit programming code. Completing this step lets you access programming mode.
Adding User Codes
Once you’re in programming mode, you can add user codes to grant access to other people. Follow these steps to add user codes:
- Press the Schlage button.
- Press the number “1” key.
- Enter a new four-digit user code.
- Re-enter the same user code for confirmation.
The lock will beep and the green checkmark will blink to indicate a successful code entry. Repeat this process for any additional user codes you want to create.
Disabling User Codes
Disabling user codes can be useful when you want to temporarily restrict access to your home. To disable all user codes:
- Press the Schlage button.
- Press the number “4” key simultaneously.
The lock will confirm the action by beeping and blinking the green checkmark. If needed, you can re-enable all user codes by following the same process.
Remember, managing user codes is an essential part of ensuring the security and convenience of your Schlage lock. Regularly update your programming code and monitor the access codes you’ve created to maintain a secure home environment.
Enabling the Lock and Leave Feature
To enable the Lock and Leave feature on your Schlage lock, follow these simple steps:
- Enter your 6-digit programming code on the lock’s keypad. Wait for the Schlage button to light up orange three times, accompanied by three beeps.
- Press the Schlage button followed by the number 7 key. This will enable the Lock and Leave feature in your Schlage lock.
When activating the feature, look for a toggle switch or a green checkmark to confirm that the Lock and Leave option is enabled.
Now that you have successfully enabled the Lock and Leave feature, you can conveniently lock your door without entering a user code. Simply close the door, press the Schlage button on the lock, and it will unlock.
Following the correct usage of the Lock and Leave feature ensures a hassle-free experience when leaving your home. Additionally, it contributes to maintaining the safety and security of your living space. Remember to stay attentive to the lock’s orange light and beeps, as they indicate that the feature has been enabled correctly.
Moreover, if you need to adjust the auto-lock time or turn off the feature in the future, you can follow the same steps mentioned above to disable it. Keep in mind to look for the toggle switch or green checkmark to verify the correct settings.
Using the Schlage Connect App
The Schlage Connect App allows you to easily manage the “Lock and Leave” feature on your connected smart lock. By following the below steps, you can enable this feature through the app on your phone.
- Download the app: First, download the Schlage Connect App on your phone. It is available for both Android and iOS platforms.
- Pair your smart lock: Once you have the app installed, follow the on-screen instructions to connect your Schlage Connect smart lock with your phone. You may need either Wink App or another home automation system if your lock uses Zigbee or Z-Wave technology. Ensure both your phone and smart lock are connected to the same Wi-Fi network during the pairing process.
- Navigate to “Lock and Leave” settings: After you successfully pair your lock with the app, open the Schlage Connect App and find the settings for the “Lock and Leave” feature. This option is typically found in the lock settings menu.
- Enable Lock and Leave: Turn on the “Lock and Leave” feature by toggling the switch in the appropriate section. When enabled, your smart lock will automatically lock the door behind you as you leave.
Remember to test the “Lock and Leave” feature after enabling it, by following these steps:
- Ensure your phone is within range of your lock
- Unlock your smart lock through the Schlage Connect App
- Exit your home and close the door behind you
- Wait a few seconds, and then check if the lock has automatically locked
Using the Schlage Connect App, you can conveniently enable and manage the “Lock and Leave” feature to ensure your home is secure each time you step out. This allows you to have the peace of mind knowing that you can confidently leave your home without wondering if you forgot to lock the door.
Integrating Schlage Lock with Smart Home Systems
Integrating your Schlage smart lock with a smart home system allows for greater control and convenience in managing your home’s security. You’ll first need to choose a compatible smart home hub, like Z-Wave, Wink Hub, or Wink Hub 2. These hubs will enable remote access, helping you create a seamless experience with other smart devices in your home.
To begin the integration process, follow these general steps:
- Install and set up your Schlage smart lock on your door.
- Ensure your chosen smart home hub is properly functioning and connected to the same network as your smart lock.
- Pair your Schlage lock with the smart home hub following the manufacturer’s instructions. This typically includes entering the lock in your hub’s app and following a pairing process.
Here are a few popular smart home hubs compatible with Schlage locks, along with their key features:
- Z-Wave: Z-Wave is a wireless communication protocol that connects various smart home devices. It’s known for its reliable connectivity and interoperability with many brands and devices, creating a seamless smart home experience.
- Wink Hub: The Wink Hub is an easy-to-use and versatile smart home platform. It supports a wide range of smart devices, including Schlage locks. Its intuitive app allows users to control various devices from one central place, making managing your smart home straightforward.
- Wink Hub 2: As the more advanced version of the Wink Hub, Wink Hub 2 supports a greater number of devices, enabling it to work with even more smart home ecosystems. Its faster processing power, increased storage, and enhanced security features make Wink Hub 2 an excellent choice for larger smart homes.
By integrating your Schlage lock with a compatible smart home system, you unlock the potential of managing your home’s security remotely and effectively. Whether you choose a Z-Wave, Wink Hub, or Wink Hub 2 system, you can trust that your Schlage lock will work seamlessly with your devices to create the ultimate smart home experience.
Additional Settings and Features
The Auto-Lock feature on your Schlage lock automatically locks the door after a specified period of time. This is useful when you want to ensure your door is always locked when you leave your home. To customize the auto-lock settings:
- Open the Schlage Connect app and select your lock.
- Tap on the settings gear icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Scroll down and tap on “Auto-Lock”
- Adjust the auto-lock delay time to your desired setting, and toggle the feature on or off.
Vacation mode is a great feature to use when you’re away from home, providing an extra layer of security. This will disable all user codes, ensuring no one can access your home while you’re away. To enable vacation mode:
- Remove the battery cover on your lock.
- Disconnect the battery.
- Press and release the Schlage button.
- Within 10 seconds, reconnect the battery, then press and hold the Schlage button until you see a green light, followed by a single beep.
Alarm and Security Settings
Your Schlage lock offers various alarm and security settings to help provide peace of mind. To access these settings, follow these steps:
- In the Schlage Connect app, select your lock and tap on the settings gear icon.
- Scroll down and tap on “Alarm + Security”.
Customize the settings according to your needs, such as:
- Forced Entry Alarm: Activate this feature to trigger an alarm if someone tries to forcefully enter your home.
- Activity: Keep track of when your lock is used or tampered with by receiving notifications.
By exploring these additional settings and features on your Schlage lock, you can ensure that your home remains secure and adapt the system to your personal preferences.
Choosing the Right Schlage Lock Model
When selecting the appropriate Schlage lock for your home, it’s essential to consider the specific features you require in a lock. There are several models available, each with its unique characteristics. Here are some key considerations to help you make the right choice:
First, think about whether you prefer a keyless or keyed lock. Schlage offers both options to suit different preferences and security needs. Keyless locks generally use a combination of electronic components, such as a touchscreen or keypad, to grant access. On the other hand, keyed locks require a physical key to operate.
Some popular Schlage keyless lock models include:
Schlage BE365 – This is a keypad deadbolt lock that allows you to set a unique code for entry. It provides enhanced security and eliminates the need for a key, making it an excellent option for those who want a simple, secure solution.
Schlage BE469 – This touchscreen smart deadbolt offers advanced functionality, such as remote access and the ability to control the lock through a compatible smart home hub. It also features an auto-lock function for added convenience and security.
Advantages of keyless locks:
- No need to carry keys
- Easily share access with trusted individuals
- Reduced risk of lock picking or key bumping
For users who prefer a traditional keyed option, the Schlage Touch series offers an excellent combination of convenience and security. These locks feature a touchscreen keypad deadbolt that allows for keyless entry while maintaining the option to use a key if desired.
When selecting your ideal Schlage lock model, keep in mind the desired level of security, ease-of-use, and compatibility with your existing home security system. By assessing these factors and exploring the options, you’ll be able to find the perfect lock to suit your needs and protect your home.
Maintenance and Troubleshooting
When using the Schlage Lock and Leave feature, it’s essential to keep in mind a few maintenance and troubleshooting tips. This will ensure the security and convenience you expect from your Schlage lock.
The first consideration is the batteries. Schlage locks typically require 4 AA alkaline batteries. When you notice decreased performance or find that certain features stop working, it’s time to replace the batteries. To maintain optimal performance, it’s recommended to replace the batteries annually, even if they have not yet died.
Resetting the Lock
If you’re experiencing issues with the Lock and Leave feature or other functionalities, you may need to perform a factory reset. Follow these simple steps:
- Remove the lock from the door.
- Remove the battery cover and locate the small reset button.
- Press and hold the reset button, then reconnect the battery cover.
- Release the reset button after the LED light turns red, then wait for the lock to complete its reset process.
After resetting the lock, you’ll need to reprogram your access codes and other settings.
There are a few troubleshooting tips to consider if you’re encountering issues with your Schlage lock:
- Ensure the lock’s firmware is up-to-date, as outdated firmware could cause the Lock and Leave feature to malfunction.
- Check if the lock is installed correctly, and all the components are tight and secure.
- If you’ve recently changed the door or lock, ensure that the deadbolt is correctly aligned with the strike plate.
Addressing Forgetfulness and Convenience
One of the benefits of the Schlage Lock and Leave feature is its convenience, especially for those who are prone to forgetting to lock their doors when leaving. To enhance this convenience, consider pairing your Schlage lock with a compatible smart home system. This enables you to receive notifications when your door is unlocked or locked, check its status, and remotely lock your door, ensuring peace of mind wherever you are.
By following these maintenance and troubleshooting tips, you can keep your Schlage Lock and Leave system in top condition, enhancing your home’s security and convenience.
Understanding Schlage Lock Security Features
Schlage Locks provide top-notch security for your home and belongings. These locks offer a variety of features that make them an excellent choice for safeguarding your property. In this section, we will discuss some key security aspects of Schlage Locks, including deadbolts, forced entry resistance, tamper protection, and certifications from the Builders Hardware Manufacturers Association (BHMA).
Deadbolts are a crucial element of any secure lock system. Schlage Locks come equipped with high-quality, durable deadbolts that work effectively to prevent unauthorized access. The strength of these deadbolts ensures that they can withstand significant force, keeping your home safe from break-in attempts.
Forced entry resistance is another significant aspect of Schlage Locks. Their robust construction and design make it challenging for potential intruders to force their way into your home. Schlage deadbolts are tested against various forced entry techniques and have proven to provide a reliable barrier against such attempts.
In addition to forced entry resistance, Schlage Locks also offer tamper protection. This feature ensures that the lock itself is resistant to attempts at manipulation, such as picking or bumping. By preventing these types of security breaches, Schlage Locks provide an added layer of protection for your home.
Finally, the quality and effectiveness of Schlage Locks are backed by certifications from the BHMA. This organization sets the standards for builders hardware, and Schlage Locks have earned several BHMA certifications, demonstrating their commitment to quality and security. Some of the certifications Schlage Locks have received include:
- ANSI/BHMA A156.36 for deadbolts
- ANSI/BHMA A156.40 for residential locks
- ANSI/BHMA A156.2 for door locks
By understanding these various security features provided by Schlage Locks, you can have confidence in their ability to protect your home and possessions. Investing in a high-quality Schlage Lock ensures that your property remains secure and that you have peace of mind knowing your belongings are safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I set up Schlage lock and leave feature?
To set up the Schlage lock and leave feature, follow these simple steps:
- Press the Schlage button on the keypad.
- Within 5 seconds, press the number 7.
The lock will illuminate green, indicating that the lock and leave feature is enabled.
What are the steps to enable the auto-lock function on Schlage keypad lock?
To enable the auto-lock function on your Schlage keypad lock, you’ll need to do the following:
- Press and hold the Schlage button.
- Enter your 6-digit programming code.
- Press the number 9.
- Press the number 1 to turn on the auto-lock feature, or press 0 to disable it.
The lock will beep and blink to confirm your selection.
Can I program my Schlage door lock for automatic locking?
Yes, you can program your Schlage door lock to automatically lock after a set period. Follow the steps mentioned in the previous answer to enable or disable the auto-lock function.
How do I activate the lock and leave feature on the Schlage FE595?
To activate the lock and leave feature on the Schlage FE595, follow these steps:
- Press the Schlage button on the keypad.
- Enter your 4-digit user code.
- Press the number 7.
The lock will beep and the Schlage button will flash green, confirming that the lock and leave feature is enabled.
What should I do to make my Schlage lock secure automatically?
To make your Schlage lock secure automatically, enable the auto-lock function by following the step-by-step instructions provided under “What are the steps to enable the auto-lock function on Schlage keypad lock?”
How do I configure the Schlage lock to automatically lock after closing?
By enabling the auto-lock function on your Schlage lock, it will automatically lock after closing. Follow the steps mentioned under “What are the steps to enable the auto-lock function on Schlage keypad lock?” for a detailed guide on configuring the lock to automatically lock after closing.