Whether you’ve just purchased a new Alexa or Blink device or want to connect devices you already own, this guide on how to connect Blink to Alexa will walk you through the process step-by-step.
Armed with the information below, you can confidently and conveniently control your security system using voice commands and enjoy features like live view, multi-camera live view, two-way audio, and arming or disarming your system.
Table of Contents
Getting Started: Blink and Alexa Compatibility
Requirements for Alexa and Blink Integration
To achieve a smooth and successful integration between Blink cameras and Alexa, ensure that the following are met:
- Have an up-to-date version of the Blink app and Alexa app installed on your smartphone or tablet, available for both iOS and Android.
- Own an Alexa-enabled device like Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick, etc., with the latest firmware updates installed.
- Have an Amazon account and Alexa device set up in one of the supported markets (United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy, and Germany).
- Amazon Kids mode should be disabled for your Alexa-enabled devices.
- Ensure that you have a strong internet connection and a corresponding Wi-Fi network for both devices.
Blink Camera Models Compatible with Alexa
The following Blink camera models are compatible with Alexa and offer various functionality, such as voice controls to arm/disarm, view camera feeds, and two-way audio:
|Camera Model||Functions Supported|
|Blink Outdoor||Arm/Disarm, Live View, Two-Way Audio|
|Blink Indoor||Arm/Disarm, Live View, Two-Way Audio|
|Blink Mini||Arm/Disarm, Live View, Two-Way Audio|
|Blink Video Doorbell||Arm/Disarm, Live View, Two-Way Audio, Announcing Doorbell Press|
By following the essential requirements and ensuring the compatibility of your devices, integrating your Blink cameras with Alexa will provide an enhanced and convenient surveillance experience for your home security.
Connect Blink Cameras to Alexa Using Blink App
Follow this step-by-step guide on how to connect Blink Cameras to Alexa using the Blink App. We will be covering how to add the Alexa Skill to the Blink App and how to link your Blink account with Alexa.
Steps to Add Alexa Skill to Blink App
- Open the Blink app on your smartphone (iOS or Android).
- Select Account and Privacy
- Select the “Link to Alexa” option from the Account menu.
- Tap “Open Alexa App” to open the Alexa app on your device.
Link Blink Account with Alexa
- In the Alexa app, navigate to the “Blink SmartHome” screen.
- Tap “ENABLE TO USE” to install the Blink SmartHome Skill.
- On the “Link Account” screen, enter the email address and password associated with your Blink account, then tap “Continue”.
- A verification code will be sent to the mobile phone number associated with your Blink account. Enter the verification code in the designated field, then tap “Verify Code”.
- Create a unique 4-digit PIN to manage your Blink devices. This PIN will be required to arm and disarm your Blink system using Alexa.
- After the verification process is complete, your Blink devices should be visible and manageable within the Alexa app.
Once your Blink account is linked you can use Alexa commands for Blink.
Utilize Alexa App and Devices
Setting up Alexa Routines for Blink
To set up Alexa Routines for your Blink camera, first, ensure that both your Blink and Alexa devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Follow the steps below:
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Tap on the “Routines” icon found in the bottom right corner of the app.
- Create a new routine by tapping the “+” icon.
- Choose an action or event that will trigger the routine (e.g., motion detection or camera arming).
- Select the desired routine behaviors from the list (e.g., receiving notifications or playing sound alerts).
- Save your routine.
Through this process, you can create user-friendly routines for daily or night-time usage, like arming and disarming your devices at specific moments.
Blink cameras come with motion detection capabilities, and integrating this feature with Alexa expands its possibilities.
You can set up motion announcements and customize Alexa routines based on detected activity.
To enable motion alerts on devices like Echo Dot or Echo Show, follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app and navigate to the “Devices” tab.
- Select “Cameras” and choose your Blink camera.
- Enable “Announcements” under the “Motion Settings” section.
Alexa routines can be cr
Live Streaming on Echo Show and Fire TV
To live stream your Blink camera on Amazon Echo Show or Fire TV devices, it’s essential that all devices are linked and connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Here’s how to live stream on Amazon Echo Show:
- Enable the Blink Skill in the Alexa app by opening the Alexa app and navigating to “Skills & Games.”
- Search for “Blink” and “Enable to Use” the Blink Smart Home skill.
- Sign in with your Blink username and password to link your accounts.
- Discover your Blink camera devices in the Alexa app by pressing “Devices” in the bottom right corner, then hit the “+” symbol in the top right corner.
- Talk to your Echo Show by saying “Alexa, show me [camera name]” to initiate the live view.
Here’s how to live stream on Fire TV devices:
- Follow the same steps (1-4) as mentioned for Echo Show.
- With your Fire TV remote, press and hold the Microphone button and say “Alexa, show me [camera name]” to start the live stream.
Live streaming on both Echo Show and Fire TV enables you to access live views of your Blink camera and delivers two-way audio communication, allowing you to listen and speak through the devices.
Troubleshooting Tips for Blink and Alexa Integration
Common Connection Issues
There are some common issues you may encounter when connecting your Blink cameras to Alexa:
- Alexa not discovering Blink devices
- Inability to view live streams via Alexa
- Blink devices not responding to voice commands
To improve compatibility and ensure a seamless integration, make sure that both your Alexa and Blink apps are up to date and your devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
How to Reset and Reconnect Blink and Alexa Devices
If you’re experiencing issues with your Blink and Alexa integration, you can follow these steps to reset and reconnect your devices:
- Disable the Blink SmartHome Alexa Skill: In the Alexa app, tap “More” in the bottom right corner, then go to “Skills & Games”. Search for “Blink SmartHome” and tap “Disable Skill”.
- Log out of the Blink App: On your mobile device, open the Blink app, go to the account section, and log out.
- Re-login to the Blink App: Log back into your account in the Blink app.
- Re-enable the Blink SmartHome Alexa Skill: Go back to the Alexa app, search for the Blink SmartHome skill, and tap “Enable to Use”.
- Link your Blink account with Alexa: Enter the same email address and password associated with your Blink account, then tap “Continue”. Verify your account by entering the verification code sent to your mobile, then tap “Verify Code”.
- Discover Devices: In the Alexa app, tap “Devices” at the bottom, then tap the “+” icon at the top-right corner, choose “Add Device”, select “Cameras”, then tap “Discover Devices”.
After completing these steps, your Blink cameras should now function properly with your Alexa system.
Remember, the functionality of your security system and the ability for Alexa to send notifications when you control your cameras remotely rely on strong and consistent Wi-Fi connectivity.
Ensure your devices remain connected to optimize their performance.