Wondering if you can use a Nest doorbell without an existing doorbell?
It is possible to install a Nest Hello doorbell without any existing bell or wiring. We will cover the installation process for a Google Nest Doorbell without a pre-existing doorbell.
Table of Contents
Compatibility and Requirements
Phone and Wi-Fi Requirements
When using a Nest doorbell without an existing doorbell, it is essential to ensure compatibility with your phone and Wi-Fi network. Nest doorbells work best with strong and stable Wi-Fi connections. The following are some requirements to consider:
- A compatible phone running on iOS or Android OS
- Wi-Fi network operating on 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bandwidth
- Nest App installed on your phone for set up and control
Voltage and Wiring
Nest doorbells can be used without an existing doorbell by installing the Nest doorbell (battery) model or using an indoor power adapter for the Nest Hello model.
These options eliminate the need for existing doorbell wires or transformer.
The Nest doorbell (battery) comes with a built-in rechargeable Li-Ion battery, making installation much more straightforward.
For those looking to use existing wiring for chime and recharging, ensure the voltage is within the recommended range for Nest doorbells.
Google Assistant Integration
Integration with Google Assistant is possible, adding convenience and versatility to your Nest doorbell experience. The following are some benefits of integrating Google Assistant:
- Voice control over the doorbell functions
- Access to live video feed and notifications on compatible devices
- Integration with other smart home devices in your ecosystem
To use Google Assistant with your Nest doorbell, make sure you have a compatible Google Assistant device, such as a Google Home Mini or Google Nest Hub. Then, link your Nest account to your Google Home app and enable the necessary permissions for a seamless experience.
How to Install Google Nest Doorbell
Tools and Materials
Before you begin installing your Nest doorbell without an existing doorbell, gather all the necessary tools and materials for a smooth installation process:
- Power drill
- Drill bits for wood or stone
- Phillips screwdriver
- Pen or pencil
- Nest Hello Wall Plate
- Nest Hello Doorbell
- Chime Connector
- Wall anchors and screws
- Wire connectors
Installing a Google Nest Doorbell without an Existing Doorbell
If you want to install a Nest Hello doorbell without an existing doorbell, you can follow these steps:
- Determine the location where you want to mount your Nest Hello.
- Drill the necessary holes to mount the device.
- Purchase an indoor power adapter suitable for the Nest Hello doorbell.
- Follow the installation steps mentioned in the Indoor Power Adapter section above.
Removing Existing Doorbell
If you have an existing doorbell, first ensure that the power is turned off and proceed with its removal:
- Unscrew the doorbell button from the wall.
- Disconnect the two wires from the button.
- Gently remove the old doorbell from the wall, taking care not to damage the wires.
Wiring Nest Hello Without Existing Doorbell
To install the Nest Hello without an existing doorbell, you’ll need to provide power using a 16-24V transformer. Follow these steps for wiring:
- Turn off the power at the breaker.
- Locate the two wires from the original doorbell or use two new wires for a new installation.
- Connect the Nest Hello wires to the two wires from the transformer using wire connectors.
Mounting and Positioning
Now that the Nest Hello is wired, you can mount it to your wall and position it for optimal video coverage. Here’s how to do it:
- Hold the Nest Hello wall plate against the wall where you’d like to install the doorbell, typically at about 4 feet (1.2 meters) high.
- Use a pen or pencil to mark the screw holes on the wall.
- Drill pilot holes at the marked locations using the appropriate drill bit for your wall material.
- Insert wall anchors (if needed) into the drilled holes.
- Feed the connected wires through the grommet in the bottom half of the wall plate.
- Attach the wall plate to the wall using the supplied screws, making sure the Nest logo is at the bottom.
- Position the Nest Hello doorbell on the wall plate by aligning the top, then gently pressing the bottom until it clicks into place.
- Turn the power back on at the breaker.
Once your Nest Hello is mounted and powered, scan the QR code on the doorbell to connect it to your Wi-Fi network using the Nest app and complete the installation process. Now your Nest doorbell is ready for use even without an existing doorbell.
Using a Transformer
A transformer can be utilized to power the Nest doorbell if there is no existing doorbell.
The transformer will convert the mains voltage to a suitable low voltage for your Nest doorbell.
It’s essential to choose a suitable transformer based on the voltage requirements of your device, so that it can function correctly.
Indoor Power Adapter
If there is no existing doorbell, an indoor power adapter can be used to power the Nest doorbell.
This adapter is connected to your doorbell and plugged into an indoor power outlet. To install the adapter, follow these steps:
- Connect the adapter to your doorbell and plug it in.
- Connect the adapter wire ends to the wire terminals on the back of your doorbell.
- Remount your doorbell.
- Plug in the adapter into an indoor power outlet.
If desired, you can also install clips to neatly place the adapter cable along the wall.
Chime Compatibility and Options
Existing Chime Integration
The Nest Doorbell can work with pre-existing chime wiring if it is connected to the device to power it.
Once powered, you can choose to utilize either the existing indoor chime or have your Nest/Google smart home devices prompt the sound directly.