Installing a Wyze Doorbell in your home is an excellent way to enhance security and convenience.
In this article, we will detail the necessary steps and key points to keep in mind when installing a Wyze Doorbell without an existing doorbell.
Table of Contents
How to Install Wyze Doorbell
Gathering Necessary Tools and Supplies
Before you begin the installation process of the Wyze Doorbell without an existing doorbell, gather the following tools and supplies:
- Phillips screwdriver
- Wired doorbell camera (Wyze Doorbell Camera)
- Wall mount and screws (included with the doorbell camera)
- Plug-in transformer with an input voltage within 16 to 24 volts (a minimum AC requirement of 16V)
- Optional: Extension wires (if needed)
- Wyze Chime
Ensuring Proper Power Supply
To power the Wyze doorbell without an existing doorbell, you will need a plug-in transformer with an input voltage within 16 to 24 volts (16V being the minimum AC requirement).
An external power supply or a USB power supply can also be used if you have one available.
For instance, a 5V USB power supply can power the doorbell, but it may not be sufficient for optimal performance.
Be sure to check the compatibility of the power supply with the Wyze Doorbell before installation.
Choosing the Right Location
Selecting the right location to install the Wyze Doorbell Camera is crucial for proper functioning and security coverage.
Some factors to consider when choosing the location are:
- It should be close to a power outlet to plug the transformer or the external/USB power supply.
- The camera should have a clear and unobstructed view of the area you want to monitor.
- If you plan to use an existing chime, the location should be close enough for the wires to reach the chime terminals.
- The camera should be securely mounted on the wall or doorframe for stability and durability.
Mounting the Wall Plate and Bracket
To install the Wyze Doorbell without an existing doorbell, begin by mounting the wall plate and bracket.
Choose a desired location next to your door and ensure it is a flat surface.
You may need to use the included angled wedge if the surface is not flat or to adjust your doorbell’s angle.
Drill holes as needed and insert the provided expansion tubes.
Secure the wall plate in place using the bracket screws.
Connecting the Wires and Testing the Doorbell
You’ll need a plug-in transformer with an input voltage of 16-24 volts.
You can find this on Amazon, like the Ohmkat’s plug-in transformer.
Once you have your transformer, connect the twin wires to your doorbell and the transformer. Use wire nuts to secure the connections properly.
Now, plug the transformer into an outlet and check the status light on your Wyze Video Doorbell to ensure it is receiving power.
The status light will help determine if the doorbell is functioning correctly.
Setting Up the Wyze App
With the doorbell installed, it’s time to set up the Wyze App on your smart device.
Download the app from your device’s app store and create an account if you haven’t already.
Once logged in, follow the in-app instructions to add your Wyze Doorbell to the app, and connect it to your Wi-Fi network.
Adjusting the Camera Angle and View
After connecting your doorbell to the app, check the camera’s view to make sure you have a clear view of your entrance.
If necessary, adjust the doorbell’s angle using the included angled wedge or loosen and readjust the wall plate slightly.
Check the view again in the Wyze App to confirm that the adjustments have improved the video coverage of your entryway.
Alternative Power Options
Using a Plug-In Chime
Installing a Wyze doorbell without an existing doorbell can still be accomplished by using a plug-in chime.
This option requires a wall socket close to the main door, where the doorbell will be installed.
A plug-in adapter, compatible with the Wyze doorbell voltage requirement, should be acquired as the power source.
After installing the Wyze doorbell, connect it to the plug-in chime, and plug the adapter into the wall socket.
This ensures that the doorbell functions properly while drawing power from the wall socket.
Upgrading Your Doorbell Transformer
If you have an outdated or low-voltage doorbell transformer, upgrading it might be necessary to install the Wyze doorbell without an existing doorbell.
Ohmkat’s plug-in transformer is a great solution and meets the voltage requirement for the Wyze doorbell is 16-24VAC.
Connecting to an External Power Supply
Another alternative involves connecting the Wyze doorbell to an external power supply.
- To do this, purchase an appropriate power supply that complies with the voltage requirements of the device (16-24VAC).
- You will also need to acquire twin wires to connect the doorbell to the power supply.
- Start by running the power cable from the wall outlet to the installation location.
- Keep the power supply unplugged while installing the Wyze doorbell.
- Finally, connect the doorbell using the twin wires to the external power supply and plug it in.
By exploring these alternative power options, your Wyze doorbell installation process can be completed without an existing doorbell. Remember always to consider the voltage requirements and consult with a local electrician if necessary.
Wyze Doorbell Basics
The Wyze Doorbell is an innovative smart video doorbell that enhances home security and convenience. This section covers some basic information about Wyze doorbell, including its main features and benefits, as well as compatibility with existing doorbells.
Features and Benefits
Wyze doorbell offers numerous features and advantages aimed at providing convenience and security for homeowners:
- Video capabilities: With a high-quality camera, Wyze doorbell allows you to see who’s at your door with clear resolution and wide viewing angles.
- Smart notifications: Receive notifications on your smartphone when the doorbell detects motion or when someone presses the button, ensuring you never miss a visitor.
- Two-way audio: Initiate and engage in conversations with visitors at your doorstep using the built-in microphone and speaker.
As a smart doorbell, the Wyze device integrates with various other smart home systems and offers additional benefits:
- Night vision: See who’s at your door even in low-light conditions, thanks to advanced infrared technology.
- Motion detection: Get alerted when motion is detected near your door, enhancing security and deterring potential intruders.
- Easy installation: A user-friendly guide makes it simple to install, whether you have an existing doorbell or not.
Compatibility with Existing Doorbells
Wyze doorbell is designed for compatibility with most existing wired doorbells.
However, if you don’t have an existing doorbell, it can still be installed and powered using an external power source:
- Plug-in transformer: To power your Wyze doorbell without an existing doorbell, use a plug-in transformer with input voltage within 16 to 24 volts (16V is the minimum AC requirement). Ohmkat is a well-regarded option that offers a compatible transformer for Wyze devices.
- External or USB power: Alternative options include using an external power supply or a USB power supply.
- Plug-in chime: To enable chimes without an existing doorbell, consider using a plug-in chime. This provides audible notifications for visitors and can be easily integrated with your Wyze doorbell.
Overall, the Wyze doorbell is an excellent solution for homeowners seeking an easy-to-install, feature-packed smart video doorbell compatible with or without an existing wired doorbell system.
Wyze Wireless Video Doorbell
If all of this sounds too complicated and you dont want to deal with wiring, etc. Save yourself some time and money and pickup a Battery Powered Wireless Wyze Video Doorbell Pro.
Troubleshooting and Support
Common Issues and Solutions
Issue #1: Wyze Doorbell not powering on
- Ensure the transformer has the correct voltage (16-24 volts AC).
- Verify all wires and connections are secure and properly installed.
Issue #2: Wyze Video Doorbell not connecting to the Wyze App
- Make sure your smartphone is connected to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network (Wyze Video Doorbell is not compatible with 5GHz Wi-Fi).
- Reset the doorbell by holding down the reset button for 10 seconds.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Wyze App.
Issue #3: Poor video quality or connectivity
- Check your Wi-Fi signal strength and move your router closer to the doorbell if needed.
- Make sure the transformer provides enough power to the Wyze Doorbell.
Integration with Smart Home Devices
Wyze Doorbell offers a seamless integration with popular smart home devices, such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. This section provides information on how to connect your Wyze Doorbell to these devices and enjoy hands-free control.
Connecting to Amazon Alexa
To connect your Wyze Doorbell to Amazon Alexa, follow these steps:
- Ensure your Wyze Doorbell is set up and connected to the Wyze app.
- Open the Amazon Alexa app and sign in to your account.
- Tap on the “Menu” (three horizontal lines) icon in the top left corner.
- Select “Skills & Games” from the menu.
- Search for “Wyze” and select the Wyze Skill.
- Tap “Enable” and sign in to your Wyze account.
- Authorize the Alexa app to access your Wyze devices.
- If prompted, discover devices by tapping “Discover Devices” or asking Alexa to discover devices.
- Your Wyze Doorbell will now appear in the “Devices” section of the Alexa app, and you can control it using voice commands.
Linking to Google Assistant
To link your Wyze Doorbell to Google Assistant, follow the steps below:
- Ensure your Wyze Doorbell is set up and connected to the Wyze app.
- Open the Google Home app and sign in to your account.
- Tap on the “+” icon in the top left corner.
- Select “Set up device” from the options.
- Tap on “Works with Google” in the “Have something already set up?” section.
- Search for “Wyze Home” and select it from the list.
- Sign in to your Wyze account and authorize the Google Assistant app to access your Wyze devices.
- Assign your Wyze Doorbell to a room for easier control within the Google Home app.
- You can now control your Wyze Doorbell using Google Assistant voice commands.