We rely on smart locks for our homes’ security, but what happens when your Kwikset Smart Lock’s battery runs out? You may find yourself locked out and wondering how to regain access to your home.
In this article, we explore different solutions to help you unlock your Kwikset Smart Lock when the battery is dead.
Table of Contents
Unlocking Solutions when Battery is Dead
Using Traditional or Spare Key
Even with advanced technology, Kwikset Smart Locks include a traditional keyway for a backup option. When your lock’s battery is dead, you can still unlock the door by using the traditional key method.
Keeping a spare key on hand is a practical solution for situations like this. You may store a copy of the key in:
- Your car
- Briefcase or purse
- Messenger bag or pocket
Having the regular key or spare key can save you from the inconvenience of a dead battery and grant access when needed.
Emergency Power Supply
Some Kwikset Smart Lock models come with an emergency power port. This feature allows you to temporarily power your lock and gain access when the battery is depleted. To utilize this option, do the following:
- Locate the emergency power port on the lock.
- Connect a 9V battery to the port.
- Once connected, the LED will emit a red light, indicating that the lock is receiving power.
- Quickly enter your access code on the keypad to unlock the door.
It’s a good idea to store a 9V battery in your car or bag in case of such emergency situations.
If all else fails, and you can’t access your Kwikset Smart Lock with a dead battery using the above methods, it’s time to consider a professional locksmith service.
A locksmith has the necessary equipment and expertise to unlock your door without causing damage. Keep in mind that the cost of locksmith services varies depending on factors such as location and time of the day.
Understanding Kwikset Smart Locks
Kwikset Smart Locks are designed to provide keyless entry solutions for your home, making it more convenient and secure. However, batteries do not last forever, and eventually, you may face a situation where the battery is drained.
Fortunately, Kwikset has taken this into consideration when designing their smart locks, providing alternative unlocking methods to ensure you can always access your home.
Defining Kwikset Technologies
Kwikset is a leading manufacturer of smart locks, offering a range of models that provide enhanced security and convenience for your home. Some popular Kwikset smart lock models include:
- Halo: A Wi-Fi enabled smart lock that can be controlled remotely.
- Aura: A Bluetooth-enabled smart lock that uses your smartphone for access.
- Premis: A touchscreen smart lock that works with Apple HomeKit.
- Obsidian: A keyless touchscreen smart lock with a sleek design.
- SmartCode 955: A commercial-grade smart lock with a keypad for access.
- Kwikset SmartCode 917: A residential-grade smart lock with a keypad.
- Kevo: A smart lock that uses touch-to-open technology with your smartphone.
Each of these smart locks offer varying levels of security and accessibility features, allowing you to choose the one that best fits your needs.
Lock and Key Functionality
While Kwikset smart locks provide advanced technology for access, they also retain traditional key functionality. This means you can still use a physical key to unlock your door, even if the lock’s battery runs out or you prefer a traditional key-based entry.
Keep a spare key in a secure location to ensure you always have a backup option for entry.
Working Principle of Kwikset Smart Locks
Keyless Entry and Smartphone Integration
Kwikset Smart Locks provide convenient keyless entry solutions for your home. These locks allow you to create user codes for family members, friends, and even service providers without the need for physical keys.
With the Kwikset app installed on your smartphone, you have full control over your lock, allowing you to lock and unlock your door remotely.
Some Kwikset Smart Locks can also be integrated with a smart home hub, expanding their functionality and compatibility with other smart devices in your home.
- Refer to the User Manual: Before starting the programming process, consult your Kwikset Smart Lock’s user manual for specific instructions and guidelines.
- Set the Master Code: Your Kwikset lock requires a master code as the primary security measure. This code allows you to manage user codes, lock settings, and perform other administrative tasks. Follow the instructions in your user manual to set the master code.
- Adding User Codes: To grant access to family members or guests, create user codes that operate the lock. These codes can be added, changed, or removed as needed. Refer to your user manual for the specific steps to add user codes.
- Door Handing Process: Your Kwikset lock may have a door handing process to determine the direction in which your door opens. This process helps to correctly set the lock’s internal components, ensuring proper functionality. Follow your user manual’s guidelines for executing the door handling process.
- Program Button: The program button, typically located on the interior side of the lock, is used for various programming tasks such as adding or removing user codes, changing lock settings, and more. Always refer to your user manual for instructions on using the program button to adjust your lock’s settings.
- Check the Strike and Tension: Once your lock is installed and programmed, ensure that the strike plate is properly aligned and that there is sufficient tension between the lock and the doorframe. This will help with smooth operation and prevent potential malfunctions.
By following these steps, you can effectively set up and manage your Kwikset Smart Lock for optimal security and convenience in your home.
Kwikset Smart Lock Battery 101
Types and Life Span
There are a few types of batteries suitable for your Kwikset Smart Lock. The most common are AA batteries, which can be either alkaline or lithium batteries.
Alkaline batteries are your standard option, while lithium batteries tend to have a longer lifespan.
There are also rechargeable batteries available, commonly known as NiMH batteries.
The choice of battery type can impact the battery life, but generally, these batteries can last anywhere between 6-12 months, depending on usage.
Low Battery Warning and Subsequent Replacement
Your Kwikset Smart Lock is equipped with a low battery warning system. When the batteries are nearing depletion, the lock will alert you through either beeping sounds or visual cues, such as LED light indicators.
It is essential to pay attention to these warnings and replace the dead battery as soon as possible.
To change the batteries in your lock, follow the steps below:
- Ensure you have fresh batteries ready for replacement, preferably matching the type used before (AA alkaline or lithium).
- Locate the battery compartment on the interior side of the lock. It should be covered either by a sliding cover or secured with screws.
- Remove the cover or screws as needed, revealing the battery pack.
- Carefully remove the dead batteries and dispose of them responsibly.
- Place the fresh batteries into the battery compartment, ensuring they are aligned correctly, following the polarity indicated inside the compartment.
- Reattach the cover or screws to secure the battery pack in place.
By following these simple steps, you will have successfully replaced the battery in your Kwikset Smart Lock, ensuring continued, reliable use of your lock.
Change Batteries on your Kwikset Smart Lock
After successfully unlocking your Kwikset Smart Lock with a dead battery, it’s essential to change the batteries in the lock to ensure it functions smoothly. Follow these steps to change the batteries for your lock:
- Remove the security screw located at the bottom of the lock’s interior using a screwdriver.
- Carefully remove the lock’s touchscreen, revealing the turn piece and the battery housing.
- Detach the battery pack from the lock, and make sure to dispose of the dead batteries properly.
- Insert fresh batteries into the battery pack, paying attention to the correct polarity.
- Connect the battery pack to the lock and snap it into place.
- Reattach the touchscreen to the lock and fasten the security screw.
In case of a power outage, you can use a 9V battery as a temporary power source for your lock. Simply connect the battery to the terminals to power the lock temporarily.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the alternative way to unlock a Kwikset Smart Lock with a dead battery?
You can use the physical key provided with your lock as an alternative method to unlock your door when the battery is dead. Most Kwikset Smart Locks come with an exposed keyway, making it possible to unlock the door using the traditional key method even when the batteries no longer have power.
How can I prevent Kwikset lock batteries from dying quickly?
To prevent Kwikset lock batteries from dying quickly, you can:
- Use high-quality alkaline batteries instead of rechargeable ones.
- Limit the use of features that consume more battery life, such as auto-lock and one-touch locking.
- Perform regular maintenance and cleaning of the lock to ensure that it operates smoothly, thus reducing battery strain.
What are the best batteries to use for a Kwikset Smart Lock?
The best batteries to use for Kwikset Smart Locks are high-quality alkaline batteries. These batteries offer a longer lifespan and are less prone to leakage, thus ensuring that the lock functions smoothly over time.
Do I need to reset my Kwikset Smart Lock after changing batteries?
No, you do not need to reset your Kwikset Smart Lock after changing batteries. Once you replace the dead batteries with new ones, your lock’s settings and user codes should remain unchanged, and the lock should operate as expected.
Why does my Kwikset Smart Lock beep after battery replacement?
Your Kwikset Smart Lock may beep after battery replacement as a notification that the batteries have been successfully changed. This beep usually occurs when the lock re-establishes connection with the batteries and indicates that the lock is functioning correctly.
Is there a power supply option for Kwikset Smart Lock?
Currently, there is no direct power supply option for Kwikset Smart Locks. They are designed to operate using battery power, ensuring that they can function even during power outages. Regularly check the battery level of your lock and replace the batteries as needed to ensure reliable and continuous operation.