Blink Outdoor cameras offer an ideal solution for those in search of an easy-to-install and user-friendly security system.
We will delve into the process of setting up the Blink Sync Module, connecting the camera to your Wi-Fi network, and some essential tips on positioning your camera for optimal results.
Table of Contents
Getting Started with the Blink Outdoor Camera
The Blink Outdoor Camera is an easy-to-install security camera for monitoring your property’s exterior. Before setting up the device, you need to create a Blink account and download the Blink Home Monitor app.
Creating a Blink Account
- Go to the Blink website and click on the “Sign In” button at the top right corner.
- Select “Create Account” below the login form.
- Enter your email address, create a secure password, and provide your location. Your email address will be used as your username for logging into your account.
- Activate your account by clicking the link in the email that Blink sends you.
Downloading the Blink App
Getting the Blink Home Monitor app is essential for setting up and managing your Blink Outdoor Camera. Follow these steps according to your device:
|OS||App Store||App Download Process|
|iOS||Apple App Store||Search for “Blink Home Monitor” and tap “Get”|
|Android||Google Play Store||Search for “Blink Home Monitor” and tap “Install”|
Once both steps are completed, you can start the setup process for your Blink Outdoor Camera. Open the Blink app, sign in using your Blink account credentials, and follow the on-screen instructions to sync your camera with the app.
After linking, you will be able to remotely access the live feed and recordings saved from your outdoor camera.
Setting Up the Blink Sync Module
Connecting to Wi-Fi
Before starting the setup process, ensure that your Blink Sync Module is plugged in and connected to a reliable Wi-Fi network.
Follow these steps to set it up:
- Download the Blink Home Monitor app on your smartphone and create an account if you haven’t already.
- Open the app and tap on the plus sign to add a new device.
- Select “Blink Wireless Camera System” from the list of available devices.
- Scan the QR code located on the back of your Sync Module. If you cannot find the QR code, you can manually enter the serial number.
The next step is to connect the Blink Sync Module to your Wi-Fi network. The app will prompt you to select your Wi-Fi network and enter the password. Upon successful connection, the app will confirm that the Sync Module is online and part of your system.
Registering the Sync Module
After connecting the Sync Module to your Wi-Fi network, it’s essential to register it to your Blink account by creating a system for your cameras. Note that each Sync Module can manage up to ten devices in a single system.
Here’s how to register the Sync Module:
- In the Blink app, navigate to the main menu and tap on the “Add a System” button.
- Give your system an appropriate name – it could be something simple like “Outdoor Camera System”.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the registration process.
With the Blink Sync Module set up, connected to Wi-Fi, and registered to your account, you’re now ready to add your Blink Outdoor Camera and other devices to the system.
Mounting the Blink Outdoor Camera
Finding the Ideal Location
When mounting your Blink Outdoor camera, consider finding a location that provides a clear view of the area you want to monitor. Avoid placing the camera in areas with direct sunlight, glare, or obstructions that could hinder its performance.
Also, ensure that the camera is within the WiFi range of your home network.
Some tips for finding the perfect location include:
- Choose an area at least 7-9 feet above the ground level to prevent tampering and theft
- Angle the camera to cover a wide field of view
- Keep at least 20 feet of distance from the monitored area for optimal motion detection performance
- Avoid pointing the camera directly at a light source, as it may cause glare or overexposure
Before mounting the Blink Outdoor camera, make sure to install the batteries properly.
Follow these steps to install the batteries in your camera:
- Use the back cover opening tool or a right angle adapter (included in the package) to open the back cover of the camera
- Insert the required number of batteries (usually two AA batteries) into the battery compartment, ensuring correct polarity
- Close the back cover and ensure it is securely in place
After installing the batteries, proceed to mount the camera using the included accessories.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to easily mount your Blink Outdoor camera:
- Attach the cone-shaped swivel mount (included) to the desired location using the provided screws
- Position the camera on the swivel mount and adjust the angle to cover the desired area
- Tighten the swivel mount to secure the camera in place
- Once mounted, check the camera’s live view in the Blink Home Monitor app to make sure it’s properly capturing the area you intend to monitor
Camera Configuration and Settings
To configure motion alerts on your Blink Outdoor camera, follow these steps:
- Open the Blink Home Monitor app and select the camera you want to configure.
- Navigate to the settings menu (gear icon) in the top-right corner.
- Find the Motion Detection section and toggle the switch to enable or disable alerts.
- Adjust the Motion Detection sensitivity slider to customize the desired detection level.
Remember that a higher sensitivity level will capture more motion events, while lower sensitivity might miss some events, but it could reduce false alarms.
In addition to motion alerts, you can also enable Live View to monitor your home security in real-time.
To access Live View on your Blink camera, follow these steps:
- Open the Blink Home Monitor app and select the camera you want to view.
- Tap on the video icon below the camera preview image to start a Live View session.
- While in Live View, you can use the two-way audio feature to talk to people at your home or listen to any sounds happening in the monitored area.
When monitoring your home security using Blink cameras, you can customize various settings, including clip length, retrigger time, and infrared LED control, to optimize your security system experience.
Ensure your Blink cameras are connected to a Sync Module and your home Wi-Fi network for proper functioning.
And that’s it! With these steps in place, you’ll be well on your way to optimizing your Blink Outdoor camera settings for a reliable and efficient home security system.
Integration with Smart Home Devices
In this section, we will discuss how to integrate your Blink Outdoor Camera with various smart home devices such as Amazon Alexa, Google Home, and Apple HomeKit.
Blink Outdoor Camera can easily be integrated with Amazon Alexa for voice controls and commands. To do this, you will need an Amazon account and a device compatible with Alexa, such as an Echo Dot.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone and navigate to the Skills & Games section.
- Search for the Blink SmartHome skill and enable it.
- Link your Blink account by entering your credentials.
- Discover devices by asking Alexa to find your camera or tap on “Discover Devices” within the Alexa app.
- Your Blink Outdoor Camera should now be visible and controllable through the Alexa app.
With this integration, you can enjoy features like live view, motion alerts, and voice controls for arming and disarming your camera system.
While the Blink Outdoor Camera is not directly compatible with Google Home, you can still integrate it using third-party apps like IFTTT.
Follow these steps to connect your Blink Camera with Google Home:
- Download and sign up for the IFTTT app on your phone.
- Search for the Blink applet and connect your Blink account.
- Connect your Google Home account to the IFTTT app.
- Create custom applets, such as “Arm Blink when I say goodnight to Google Home” or “Disarm Blink when I arrive home.”
Please note that some features, like live view, may not be available through Google Home integration.
As of now, the Blink Outdoor Camera does not offer direct compatibility with Apple HomeKit. You may need to use third-party apps or workarounds to enable limited integration, but full functionality is not supported at this time.
On a related note, the Blink Floodlight Camera, with 700 lumens of brightness, may offer better compatibility with smart home devices in the future.
Keep an eye out for updates and new developments from Blink regarding HomeKit compatibility and other smart home device integrations.
Advanced Features and Troubleshooting
In this section, we will discuss some advanced features of your Blink Outdoor camera and address common troubleshooting issues.
USB Drive Options
Blink Outdoor and Indoor 3rd Generation cameras provide the option to use local storage to save your clips. This can be done by connecting a USB drive to your Sync Module 2.
To make use of this feature:
- Insert the USB drive into the Sync Module 2.
- Open the Blink Home Monitor app on your iOS or Android device.
- Navigate to the settings for your system, and enable the local storage option.
By utilizing local storage, you can have more control over your clips and reduce the need for cloud storage.
Setting up a Blink Outdoor Camera is a straightforward process that can greatly enhance the security of your home. With just a few simple steps, you can have your camera system up and running, ensuring the safety of your property.
- First, remember to purchase a Sync Module if your camera didn’t come with one. It’s essential for connecting your Blink Outdoor Camera to your home’s Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure to download the Blink Home Monitor app, available on both iOS and Android devices. This app allows you to manage and monitor your camera system easily.
- When setting up your camera, make sure to position it in a location that covers the desired area, and keep in mind the camera’s viewing angle and range. Also, consider installing the camera in a discreet location to avoid tampering.
- Don’t forget that you can use Local Storage with a Sync Module 2 to store your clips on a USB drive, offering more flexible options to save and access your footage.
By following these guidelines and referring to the detailed resources provided, you can successfully set up and optimize your Blink Outdoor Camera for the best security coverage.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I download the Blink Home Monitor app?
For iOS (iPhone) devices, visit the Apple App Store and search for “Blink Home Monitor.” For Android devices, visit the Google Play Store and search for “Blink Home Monitor.” Download and install the app on your smartphone.
My Blink Outdoor camera is not recording any clips. What should I do?
First, ensure that your camera is connected to the Sync Module and that the Wi-Fi connection is stable. Next, check the camera settings in the Blink Home Monitor app and confirm that motion detection is enabled. Lastly, ensure that your camera has a clear view with no obstructions blocking the lens.
How can I connect my Blink Outdoor camera to my phone?
To connect your camera to your phone, you will need to use the Blink Home Monitor app. Open the app and sign in to your account or create a new one if you haven’t already. After this, add your camera to the app following the on-screen instructions. The app will guide you on how to set up a connection between your phone and the camera using the Sync Module.
How do I reset my camera to factory settings?
Removing the camera from the Blink Home Monitor app will reset it to factory settings. To do this, open the app, go to the camera settings, and select “Delete Camera.” Keep in mind that you will need to configure your camera again if you want to use it in the future.
Can I use a USB cable to power my Blink Outdoor camera?
The Blink Outdoor camera is designed to operate using lithium batteries. Using a USB cable for power is not recommended, as it may not provide sufficient power and can potentially damage the camera.