If you’re considering selling or gifting your Blink camera to someone else, it’s important to ensure the device is properly transferred to the new owner.
This will give them full control and access to the camera, ensuring a seamless transition.
With the help of this guide, you’ll have all the information you need to confidently transfer your Blink camera to its new owner.
Table of Contents
Preparing for the Transfer
Collect Necessary Information
Before transferring the ownership of your Blink camera to a new owner, gather the following information:
- The email address of the new owner
- The model and serial number of the Blink camera
- The login credentials (email and password) of your Blink account
Unregister the Blink Camera from Original Owner Account
To unregister the Blink camera from the original owner’s account, follow these steps:
- Open the Blink app on your smartphone.
- Go to the home screen and tap Settings to view system settings.
- Tap Device and System Settings.
- Tap the name of the system you wish to delete.
- From the System screen, tap Delete System, and then tap DELETE in the confirmation popup.
After confirming, the Blink camera will be disconnected from the original owner’s account.
Perform a Factory Reset
Factory resetting is necessary to ensure that all the personal settings and configurations are removed, and the camera is ready to be set up by the new owner. Here’s how to perform a factory reset for your Blink camera:
- Locate a paperclip or a needle.
- Press and hold the reset button on the camera for more than 5 seconds.
- Observe the red and blue lights flashing rapidly, and release the button when the lights stop flashing.
- Wait for the blue light to slowly blink, indicating the camera is ready to be added to a new system.
Once these steps are completed, the Blink camera is ready for the new owner to set up and add to their Blink account. They will need to download the Blink app, sign up for a new account (if they don’t have one already), and follow the on-screen instructions to add the camera to their system.
Creating a New Blink Account
Account Registration Process
To transfer a Blink camera to a new owner, the new owner should first create a new Blink Account. The process of setting up a new account is simple and straightforward. Begin by downloading the Blink mobile app which is available for both Android and iOS devices.
- Install the Blink mobile app: Download the app from the Google Play Store or the Apple App Store.
- Open the app and select “Create Account”: This option will enable you to set up a new user account.
- Enter your email address: Type in a valid email address that is not already registered with a Blink system.
- Create a strong password: Make sure to use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters for added security.
- Verify your account details: An account verification email will be sent to the provided email address. Click on the verification link in the email to complete your account registration process.
Once your account is verified, you can proceed to add the Blink camera to your new account. This will require the previous owner to remove their cameras and sync modules from their account first.
Linking Your Amazon Account (Optional)
If you have an Amazon account, you can link it to your new Blink account for additional features and ease of use. To link your Amazon account:
- Go to Account Settings in the Blink app: Tap on the menu button in the top left corner of the app, and select “Account Settings”.
- Select “Link Amazon Account”: Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the linking process.
After creating your Blink account and, if desired, linking it to your Amazon account, you will gain access to the Blink system and be ready to receive the cameras and sync modules from the previous owner. Remember to communicate with the previous owner to ensure a smooth transfer process.
Setting Up the Blink Camera for the New Owner
In this section, we will guide you through setting up the Blink camera for the new owner. We will cover the process of adding the camera to the sync module, setting up motion detection and sharing access with additional users.
Adding the Camera to the Sync Module
- The new owner should first download the Blink app on their mobile phone and create a new account.
- On the home screen, tap on the “+” icon to add a new system.
- Choose the appropriate system for the Blink camera that is being transferred.
- Follow the in-app instructions to set up the sync module by plugging it in and connecting it to Wi-Fi.
- Add the Blink camera by scanning the QR code located on the back of the camera.
Setting Up Motion Detection
- Once the camera has been successfully added to the new owner’s account, go to the home screen.
- Tap on the camera thumbnail to view live footage, ensuring proper placement and positioning.
- Go to the “Device and System Settings” menu by tapping on the settings icon.
- Adjust the motion detection settings, such as sensitivity and retrigger time, to the new owner’s preference.
- Set up activity zones if necessary, by defining areas within the camera’s field of view that trigger motion alerts.
Sharing Access with Additional Users
In case the new owner wants to share access to the Blink cameras with family members or other users, follow these steps:
- Open the Blink app and tap on the Admin tab in the side menu.
- Choose “Users” and tap on “Invite Users.”
- Enter the new user’s email address and phone number, and an invitation will be sent to them.
- The new user will need to download the Blink app and create an account (if they don’t already have one).
- Once the new user logs in to their account, they will see the shared camera system and have access based on the permissions set by the new owner.
By following these step-by-step instructions, the Blink camera will be fully set up and functional for the new owner, including motion detection and shared access to additional users.
Deleting the Previous Owner Account
Before you transfer a Blink camera to a new owner, you must delete the previous owner’s Blink account information. This process involves removing the camera from the seller’s account, enabling the new owner to add it to their own Blink account.
Blink Account Deletion Steps
- Launch the Blink app: Open the app on the device that contains the Blink camera’s information.
- Home Screen: Navigate to the home screen, which displays all the registered Blink cameras.
- Locate the Blink camera: Find the particular camera you want to remove and click on the Settings icon (represented by a gear symbol) beside the camera’s name.
- Delete Camera: Scroll down to the bottom of the Settings page and tap the Delete Camera option.
- Confirm Deletion: A pop-up will appear, asking you to confirm the action. Click Yes to proceed.
It is essential to note that deleting a Blink camera from the previous owner's account does not delete the account itself. The account will still exist with the associated email address, name, and other Blink cameras (if any). Additionally, the data and profile specific to the account will remain unchanged, as the deletion process only removes the selected camera's access.
By following these simple steps, the Blink camera will no longer be tied to the previous owner’s account, allowing it to be transferred and registered to a new owner seamlessly.
Customer Support and Troubleshooting
In this section, you will find information on contacting Blink customer support and dealing with common issues when transferring a Blink camera to a new owner.
Contacting Blink Customer Support
If you encounter any difficulties during the transfer process or need assistance with resetting your device, Blink Support is readily available to help. To reach them, visit the Blink support website or app, find the contact support section, and follow the provided instructions.
Dealing with Common Issues
- Registered to another account: If the camera is still registered to the previous owner, the new owner must request that the original owner removes the camera from their account. The previous owner can do this by deleting the system or individual camera from their Blink app.
- Hardware reset button: If the Blink camera is still unresponsive after being removed from the previous owner’s account, try resetting the device. For Blink Mini cam, use a paperclip or needle to press and hold the reset button for more than 5 seconds until the red and blue lights flash rapidly. Release the button, and the blue light will slowly blink, indicating the camera is ready to be added to a new system.
- Amazon account and login credentials: The new owner must have an Amazon account to access the Blink camera. Sign up for an Amazon account if necessary, and then download and install the Blink app. Log in with your Amazon credentials to access the camera.
- Adding to the new system: To add a Blink camera to the new owner’s system, follow these steps:
- Open the Blink app and tap on the “+” symbol to add a device.
- Select the appropriate Blink device type (e.g., Blink Outdoor, Blink Mini).
- Enter the camera’s serial number, which can be found on the back of the device.
- Follow the in-app instructions to complete the setup process.
- Live view issue: If the new owner has issues with the live view feature, check the Wi-Fi connection and ensure the camera is within range of the wireless router. If the issue persists, try resetting the camera using the steps mentioned under “Hardware reset button.”
- Gifting or purchasing from official retailers: When gifting or purchasing a Blink camera from an official retailer, ensure it is unregistered and brand new. This will help avoid issues with transferring ownership and associated account records.
- Shared access: If the new owner wants to share access to the Blink camera with a family member or friend, they can do so through the Blink desktop app’s admin portal. Invite users by providing their email address and phone number.
By following these guidelines and troubleshooting tips, the process of transferring a Blink camera to a new owner should be smooth and hassle-free.
Post-Transfer Maintenance and Features
Managing Notifications and Alerts
After transferring a Blink camera to a new owner, it’s important to set up notifications and alerts. The new owner should follow these steps:
- Open the Blink app and sign in with their Blink account credentials.
- Tap on the Settings icon next to the camera’s name.
- Choose the “Notification Settings” option to customize notifications, such as email and phone number.
- Check or uncheck the boxes for motion detection, visitors, or other desired alerts.
Ensure that other users who need access to the camera are added to the system, so they can receive notifications as well.
Understanding Blink Camera Security Features
Blink cameras offer various security features to keep homeowners and their property safe. Some of the essential features include:
- Motion detection: Blink cameras can detect motion and send alerts to the users’ phone or email.
- Live view: Users can access a live video feed through the Blink app to monitor their property at any time.
- Infrared night vision: Blink cameras have built-in infrared LEDs for clear night vision, ensuring security even in low-light conditions.
- Two-way audio: Some Blink devices allow users to communicate with visitors through the camera’s built-in speaker and microphone.
New owners should ensure that their camera is properly configured for their security needs. This includes setting a strong password for their Blink account, updating the camera’s name to make it easily identifiable, and regularly checking for firmware updates.
It’s also essential to maintain the sync module, which connects the Blink camera to the wireless network. The new owner should ensure the sync module is placed within range of the camera and the Wi-Fi router, and check its firmware is up-to-date. If needed, they can reset the camera by following these steps:
- Use a paperclip or needle to press and hold the reset button on the camera for more than 5 seconds.
- Wait for the red and blue lights to flash rapidly, then release the button.
- The blue light will slowly blink, indicating the camera is ready to be added to a system.
By understanding and managing the Blink camera security features, new owners can properly maintain their devices and enjoy peace of mind in their homes.