Do Blink Cameras Work With Google Home?
Quick Answer: No, Blink Cameras do not work with Google Home natively.
Blink cameras unfortunately do not have native integration with Google Home or Google Assistant. This limitation is mainly because Blink is an Amazon product, and as such, it prioritizes compatibility with Alexa and other Echo devices.
However, there are workarounds for users who would like to have some level of control over their Blink cameras through the Google Home system.
Table of Contents
Blink Camera Compatibility with Google Home and Google Assistant
Blink and Google Home
Blink security cameras unfortunately do not have native integration with Google Home or Google Assistant. The reason for this lack of compatibility is that Blink is an Amazon product, and therefore primarily designed for use with Amazon Alexa and Echo devices.
As a result, users seeking to connect their Blink cameras with Google Home would need to explore alternative methods, such as using IFTTT or SmartThings, to control both devices from a single app.
Blink SmartThings Integration
To connect your Blink cameras with SmartThings, follow these steps:
- Ensure your Blink cameras are connected to your SmartThings hub.
- Open the Google Home app and navigate to Settings > Works with Google.
- Look for the SmartThings integration and enable it.
- Once enabled, you can use Google Assistant voice commands to control your Blink cameras.
Users should note that although this workaround enables some level of integration, the feature set and control options may be limited compared to security cameras with native Google Home compatibility, such as Google Nest cameras.
Cameras that work with Google Home
Arlo is known for its high-quality security cameras, with the Arlo Pro 4 being a notable option. It offers 2K video quality and integrates well with Google Home. The Pro 3, another popular choice in the Arlo lineup, provides a slightly lower video quality but still offers Google Home compatibility.
Nest, a brand directly developed by Google, is designed to work seamlessly with the Google Home ecosystem. The Nest Cam with Floodlight is a top choice for those seeking a Google Home-compatible security camera. This floodlight camera offers an HD video quality and excellent outdoor security features.
Ring is widely recognized for its doorbell cameras, but the company also offers security cameras that work well with Google Home. Ring’s floodlight camera provides HD video quality, motion-activated lights, and compatibility with the Google Home ecosystem.
Wyze is an affordable choice for home security cameras, with a range of products that integrate with Google Home. The Wyze Cam v3, for example, offers 1080p video quality and works well with both indoor and outdoor setups.
Eufy is another up-and-coming security brand known for its smart home products. Their eufy Security 2K Camera offers effective security features and compatibility with Google Home. This makes it a strong contender in the market.
Blink Cameras are Compatible with Amazon Devices
Blink cameras are designed to be compatible with various Amazon devices, primarily the Echo Show and Echo Dot. These devices are part of the Amazon ecosystem, enabling seamless integration and providing convenient access to your Blink camera feeds.
- Echo Show: The Echo Show comes with a built-in smart display, making it perfect for viewing your Blink camera footage. By simply saying “Alexa, show me my [Blink camera name],” you can easily access the live feed from your Blink camera. This makes the Echo Show an ideal companion for monitoring your home security in real-time.
- Echo Dot: Although the Echo Dot doesn’t have a display, it can still be used to control your Blink cameras through voice commands. With this device, you can arm or disarm your cameras, adjust settings, and even receive audio notifications when motion is detected. This allows you to stay informed about your home’s security status even if you’re not able to visually monitor your camera feeds.
It’s important to note that Blink cameras, being an Amazon product, are not compatible with Google Home or Google Assistant. However, their integration with Amazon’s own devices like the Echo Show and Echo Dot ensures a smooth and streamlined experience for users within the Amazon ecosystem.
In summary, it’s important to keep in mind that Blink cameras don’t have direct compatibility with Google Home. However, with the help of platforms like SmartThings and IFTTT, Blink cameras can still be incorporated into a smart home system, offering users the convenience and security they desire.